Business Development Manager (BDM)
Regional based - South
Tell someone about this job!
15 February 2019
Overview & Job Purpose
The role of the Business Development Manager (BDM) is to develop and deliver a strong business platform with our existing and new customers in your specified region, primarily focused on new business development, including, regional route to market (RTM) accounts and managed accounts. This is a dynamic, exciting and variable field based role for a skilled sales person with a background in FMCG.
As a key member of the Out of Home channel in the On-Trade field team, the BDM is responsible for developing and maintaining effective relationships with the key trading team contacts in their region and utilises these relationships to influence decisions being made in each customer. The BDM has full accountability for achieving and supporting incremental sales, availability and brand equity for all On Trade products.
The BDM agrees plans with the decision maker in the regionally based independent direct accounts in their area and ensures sales, promotional and activation plans are executed as required, and relationships are built at various levels within the customers’ business.
New Business Develpoment
- Identify top new business opportunities within channel E.g. regional wholesaler or managed retail group (bar, restaurant, hotel). List should be focussed and targeted, with clear actions of 'how' the individual will develop lead, including timings, support needed, brand opportunities etc.
- New business and existing business growth opps all modelled through P&L document. Review P&L, mix changes, different scenarios and make recommendations based on P&L
- Joint customer business planning for existing portfolio of customers, incorporating promotional plan, listing & distribution of NPD, securing listings in line with market share and/or category objectives
- 1 page account plans built with clear priorities and strategies for each account. Identifying brands, the 'how' and what is needed to achieve
- Plans built for accounts to support relevant brand activation plans, aligned as close to possible with timings and brand/NRM guidelines
- On-going monthly process, then shared as part of 1/4 account deep dive. Ensure the ROI presented to business is what we are achieving or higher, and if not what changes can/will be made to recoup or reinvest to get maximum return. This should include promotion evaluation and also fixed investment evaluation
- Management of price files, aligned to NRM guidelines and P&L sign off prices to ensure defensibility. Notifying business of incorrect pricing as soon as identified
- As above, be able to identify and share opps and risks for all accounts, providing clear recommendations on how should be approached
- Review of sales out data as a minimum monthly, to enable hook to be given to customer selling stories and allow facts and figures for performance updates on accounts
- Work with CBM/Manager to review aged debt report on weekly bases, and work with accounts team, customer services and customer to get paid promptly. Provide update to Manager on all aged debt and progress to resolve.
- Ensure all spend is accruing correctly, review on monthly bases and release any underspends the month following, with clear details why. If underspend is needed, ensure clear notes why cannot release. Any overspends or under accruals identified need to be flagged to CBM. Releases should not be kept and then 'bulk' released
- Monthly forecast reviews completed for all brands and updates shared with demand planner. Should be looking at next month, quarter at volume level (litres) what is driving performance, and clear rationale to all changes (up and down) in forecasting
- Update on all accounts performance, call for the week and month. Identify and highlight changes, providing clear rationale to performance. Raise any risks or opps for accounts within month
- Conduct a total monthly P&L review for accounts, performance vs. JBP/terms agreement. Investment ROI, promotional evaluation past and future. Recommendations for accounts, full SWOT analysis. Presentation of opportunities for business to consider (including full P&L to support commercials). Opps and risk for balance of year
- Bottom up budget required Aug/Sept each year for next financial year for all regional accounts. Should consider performance YOY, last 12 weeks, and year end forecast. Include opps and risk, must provide detailed rationale to all numbers (even if flat YOY). Look at litres, ISV, NSV
- Build reports which allow you to manage account effectively. Drill down on details, review forecast changes and provide wider picture to controllers. Helps with building analysis of accounts, identifying gaps, and creating account plans
- External: Customers –Decision makers and Regional Account Managers
- Internal: Sales/Category/Marketing/Finance/ Supply Chain (Demand Planning) & Equipment (Chilled Solutions), Regional field sales contacts, Sales Controller, NFM
Qualification and Professional Experience
- Graduate calibre – min A level standard or business degree
- On Trade sales experience is essential
- Broad business knowledge and market understanding.
- Experience in developing a new business portfolio of customers across the on-trade channel
- Experience of building relationships at all levels within an external organisation
Key Competencies and Skills
- Strong commercial acumen – fully understand performance of own business and the key drivers and dynamics affecting it
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with the ability to engage and build sustainable relationships with all levels of the business and with external customers/key stakeholders
- Highly driven and motivated by results; consistent focus on delivery and execution of outstanding sales drivers (distribution, merchandising, price, promotion, display)
- Highly organised with the ability to develop and work to detailed plans, seeing plans through to delivery
- Financial numeracy to be able to build strategically sound, financially robust proposals that exploit opportunities. Monitors and develops compelling proposals in a customer focused manner that lead toward the achievement of the sales and profit targets
- Analytical skills; ability to use data from customer, category, industry and LRS to build rational and persuasive internal and external customer proposals. Prepares scenarios that review options from all aspects e.g. sales, profit and expenditure and prepares appropriate recommendations and actions
- Negotiation skills; prepares compelling and persuasive presentations and customer proposals. Effective questioning skills that uncover opportunity and provide basis upon which proposals are based
- Influencing skills; forming win/win partnerships with others, showing how a plan or strategy can be mutually advantageous, in order to gain cooperation, overcome objections and progress business objectives
- Strong Microsoft Office application skills, especially Excel and PowerPoint