Senior NPD Scientist (Mat Cover)
Tell someone about this job!
Posted: 22 September 2020
Location: Stockley Park, Uxbridge
Overview & Job Purpose
• Responsible for New Product Development (NPD) and product re-engineering of projects assigned and other development transversal projects across Suntory Beverage & Food Europe brands
• Ensure continuous improvement and knowledge dissemination throughout the SBFE R&D Teams
- Behave as senior leader within the company helping NPD Managers, Technical Managers, others cross functionally, taking ownership of issues and implementing solutions.
- Provide leadership and training to direct reports and within the Technical Centre
- Able to respond rapidly to technical issues as they arise. Provides guidance to the wider technical community and business as required.
- Ensure that products delivered meet all food safety, compliance, sensory and quality requirements.
- Ensure that all company Intellectual Property (IP) is treated as confidential.
- PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
- Technical lead of product development, proactively coordinating with Project Leaders (brief/concept definition) and ensure knowledge dissemination throughout the NPD team, Tech. Centre and BU’s
- Provide technical expertise through delivery of new formulations (including compounds, emulsions, flavours, powder blends and colours) and technical support from formulation to industrialization
- Responsible for the delivery of formulations, specifications and manufacturing instructions to be implemented in concentrates and bottling plants.
- Coordinates stability test in collaboration with other technical functions (Sensory, Technical Support).
- Proficient in operating laboratory equipment related to intermediate & finished product development.
- Load accurate formulations and main technical data on SBFE database.
- Writes/reviews procedures, instructions and guidelines relevant to the NPD process and equipment
- Responsible for addressing any issues and concerns related product /pack interactions.
- To provide effective Scientific & Technical support (products, ingredients, brands technology, ….)
- Support management of other technical projects.
- Keeps abreast of new ingredients, trends and technologies.
- Proactively develops product concepts and presents to wider BU community.
- CROSS FUNCTIONAL
- Liaises with Tech. Managers, R&D Proj. Leaders and third parties to ensure continuity of NPD process.
- Support the delivery of elements of the new products, claims and technology research & development programs that contribute to the growth requirements of the business.
- TECHNICAL EVENTS
- Attend industry seminars, events and exhibitions to capture new trends, technologies and processes. Occasionally present at seminars or exhibitions enhancing the company's reputation.
- Internally: BU Marketing teams, BU’s R&D (Technical Project Leader, Packaging and Regulatory), Technical Centre R&D (NPD Managers and Scientists, Principal Scientist, Sensory, Technical Service, TDMS), R&D CoE, Concentrates and Bottling Plants, Technical Managers and Quality teams, Procurement, Supply Chain, ARC…
- Externally: Ingredient suppliers, equipment suppliers, external Concentrate and Bottling Plants, Material Lab suppliers.
Qualifications and Professional Experience
- Bachelor of Science Degree min in a food-related science field (Food Technology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biology or Agricultural Engineering).
- Demonstrated competence in managing multiple & complex projects.
- Extensive experience working within beverages globally for blue chip beverage company’s.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate an small team and external partners
Key Competencies and Skills
- Demonstrates “Our Yatte Minahare Way”
- Extensive knowledge of R&D process and associated commercial environment.
- Knowledge of all aspects of beverage design and manufacture.
- Leadership capabilities to manage an small team.
- Delivery orientation
- Exercises a wide degree of independent and good technical execution.
- Language skills: fluent English.