Technical Services Placement (12 months)
Research & Development (R&D)
Tell someone about this job!
Posted: 25 November 2020
Start date: Summer 2021
About the company
Suntory Beverage & Food GB&I (Formerly Lucozade Ribena Suntory) combine 85 years of knowledge, insight and expertise with an appetite for innovation to create some of the nation’s best-loved soft drink brands.
Formed in January 2014, when Japanese global beverage company, Suntory Beverage & Food - the world's 3rd largest soft drinks company, acquired Lucozade and Ribena. The company has access to some of the world’s best beverage insight, research, development, production and marketing.
Our ‘Yatte Minahare’ approach, which means ‘Go For It’, is at the heart of our business. It’s part of our cultural DNA and drives us to challenge, change and improve to create bigger, better brand ideas for our consumers. Every team member has an entrepreneurial spirit, passion and sense of ownership, so that, together, we create winning soft drink brands. To us, anything is possible...
- The success of SBF GB&I brands are built on the creation of excellent products and ensuring these products are of the best quality and as a member of the Technical Services team, part of R&D, you will support in bringing these products to life as well as ensuring the science behind them works. An industrial placement year in this team will provide you with the opportunity to contribute to the technical assurance of exciting new drinks by carrying out testing that ensures they are of the quality consumers expect over the product shelf-life.
- To assist and support the delivery of new products, claims and technology development programmes that contribute to the growth requirements of the Business using chemical analysis.
- Conduct analytical testing of samples using a range of analytical techniques e.g. HPLC and wet chemistry
- Assisting in Method development and validation
- General housekeeping of storage areas, lab and complete area audits;
- Maintenance of samples on store for stability testing including labelling of samples from trials, allocation to appropriate storage location and disposal at end of test life as required
- Maintenance of the R&D storage areas and disposal of packaging waste
- Weekly collection for Sensory and Analytical samples, sorting analytical samples into individual tests
- Pack and label analytical and sensory samples for external analysis and arranging transport to external contractor, collect incoming packages
- Stock control of lab consumables, and packaging /shipping materials and stationary
- Maintain and monitor humidity chambers
- To support the laboratory operation in line with calibration and maintenance requirements
- Conduct of weekly calibration checks in the analytical lab (pH meters, balance checks, conductivity meter, pipettes etc).
- Sourcing waste containers for HPLC Waste, cleaning containers, labelling containers and transport of waste to the Solvent store for disposal.
- Weekly preparation of analytical reagent and HPLC buffers required
- To ensure all laboratory work is carried out in accordance with GLP to support laboratory accreditation and in line with COSHH and H&S procedures
- To accurately record results of analysis within LIMS to track and report product performance
- To participate in internal and external Quality control programmes and proficiency testing.
You might be the perfect fit if...
- You are fluent in English
- You have the unrestricted right to live and work permanently in the UK
- You have university grades of 2:1 or higher within a Chemistry degree
- You are passionate about science and food
- You are analytical with a critical thinking ability
- You are an excellent communicator with the ability to simplify and communicate complex scientific information
- You are confident to immerse yourself in an unfamiliar environment and take learning opportunities with enthusiasm
Why join us?
- Paid internship with competitive annual salary.
- Eligible for on target bonus
- 26 days holiday for the year
- Contribution to the gym/access to the gym
- Company Pension
- Private Healthcare
- Staff shop access
- Real time responsibilities
- Mentoring and development
- And finally, fun at work!!